MI Online Courses
All the Details
The Motivational Interviewing, or MI, Training is designed to bring a foundation of best practices and innovative approaches to human service providers.
According to the founders of MI, William Miller and Stephen Rollnick, “Motivational Interviewing is a collaborative, goal-oriented style of communication with particular attention to the language of change. It is designed to strengthen personal motivation for, and commitment to, a specific goal by eliciting and exploring the person’s own reasons for change within an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion.”
MI is a critical tool for those in the helping professions. Many clients have substantial difficulty making changes around lifestyle and treatment, which are needed to live a healthy life. These courses are designed to provide all the information one needs to implement MI effectively with clients.
1. MI Basics – Presents an overview of the basics of MI and the MI Series
2. MI & Stages of Change – Examines how helpers can utilize the Stages of Change, together with MI to help conceptualize the change process
3. MI Step 1: Engage – Demonstrates how to help clients see the need and possibilities for change
4. MI & Harm Reduction – Demonstrates how MI and Harm Reduction can be used together to better engage clients in care and to set up programs and clients for success
5. MI Step 2: Focus – Provides strategies to help clients focus in a way that promotes positive life changes
6. MI Step 3: Evoke – Offers strategies to bring out change talk which increases the likelihood that positive change will occur
7. MI & the Importance Ruler – Examines a key strategy that helpers can utilize to build client confidence and motivation to change
8. MI Step 4: Plan – Assists helpers to integrate MI language into treatment and service planning
9. MI & Medical Adherence – Provides research and strategies to maximize adherence and self-management through MI and other best practices
Program Descriptions and Cost:
"I liked the interactive nature of the online course."
"The trainer's clinical experience was very engaging. The tone was set in a way that was welcoming and comfortable. Thanks!"
"This was great. I have had previous MI training, this being the most engaging. Thank you - the activities help. "
"Excellent presentation! Best part was practice session with observer at the end - that's what all MI trainings should provide."
"The trainer was very thorough and energetic. He kept the group engaged and discussed real world issues. There was never a dull moment. He was very knowledgeable."
"Awesome training. Really enjoyed this training. The best MI training I attended. Have additional tools to add and take back to fellow team members."
"The training was absolutely great. I will come away with knowledge on how I can better connect to my clients. The information given was valuable and can be very beneficial in the way I interview w/ my clients."
Coldspring team photos © Brianna Doby
Coldspring Center for Social & Health Innovation's mission is to improve the social, emotional, and physical health of individuals and communities in need worldwide.